Monday, April 23, 2012

A sad loss

On April 2, we lost a special part of our family-Heidi Kitty. I haven't been able to post a blog entry until now as I would just get too upset. It was about 10:30pm and there was a knock on our door. I was upstairs and I asked Dan if everything was ok. He told me something happened to Heidi and to not come outside. Of course, I didn't listen and followed Dan outside. Our neighbor (whom we have never met before but later found out was named Tessi) had seen Heidi outside of our house before and knew she lived here.

Sadly, Heidi had been hit by a car and left in the middle of the street. I know it was an accident, but I'm still really upset that she was left there to be hit again and again. While it was apparent her neck was broken and probably couldn't have been saved, we'll never know. Tessi said she didn't hit her but is an animal lover and just couldn't leave her in the street. Thank goodness she told us so we could bury her properly. She even gave us a towel so we could carry her home.

Dan and I just sat on the front porch and cried our eyes out. We talked to Heidi about what a great kitty she was and how much we will miss her. She was GREAT with Luke and Olivia, and Luke especially loved to play with her. He is our little animal lover. We knew we had to bury her before the morning, but it was just so hard. Finally around midnight, we put her in her kitty bed and buried her next to Onyx the bunny (whom we lost around Easter last year).

Heidi came into our lives as a stray when Dan and I lived in Atlanta. She was the sweetest, most loving cat from day one and would make even the most anti-cat person fall in love with her. She would always keep us company when we were out in the yard, would greet us at the door with her tiny little "meow", and joined us for picnics in the yard with Luke and Olivia (that is what I might just miss the most). There will never be another cat like her.

Heidi, we love you so much and will miss you forever. You have left a hole in our hearts and you'll never be replaced. We know you are bringing lots of joy to everyone in Heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment