Sunday, October 21, 2012

First overnight away-without Luke and Olivia!

It was only a matter of time until Luke and Olivia would have an overnight "adventure" with someone other than mommy and daddy. The time was this weekend, and it went great! Whew!!!

Dan and I were invited to our friends/neighbors wedding in Aiken, SC. The ceremony was at 1pm and the reception at 5pm, which meant we would need to spend the night. It was going to be a kid friendly wedding, but we thought it would be the perfect time for an overnight get-away. Now we're glad we did because there were only a couple of kids there, and it was very, very loud because there was a live band.

We took Luke and Olivia to Oma and Opa's house Saturday morning around 8:15am. We needed to be in Aiken by noon in order to get dressed and to the church on time, which meant Oma and Opa were in for 1 1/2 full days! We starting talking with Luke and Olivia on Thursday and mostly Friday about how we had to go out of town and they got to spend the night with Oma and Opa and play with new toys. We told them it would be a fun adventure and they would have such a great time. They did awesome when we left on Saturday and there were no tears shed (except a couple from me once I got in the car). I tried not to call very often, but I did check in before the ceremony, before dinner and right before bed. Each time Opa said they were doing fine (aside from not really napping) and didn't seem sad we weren't there. I was so relieved and so very proud of how adaptable they can be. We got back around 10:45 Sunday morning and they came running excitedly to us. Awwwww!!!

Dan and I had a nice time at the wedding and were really able to enjoy the reception. We had full conversations with people and met lots of Heidi and Frank's friends. It was surreal not to have them with us and we missed them like crazy, but it was also very nice to relax and recharge for a change. I think they'll definitely spend the night out again, but not anytime soon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment